In a cooperative nursery school such as Sierra Madre Community Nursery School, parents are responsible for the day to day operation of the school. Financing is on a cost sharing, labor sharing plan, designed by the parents themselves. Each participant family is required to contribute on an equal basis, and encouraged to participate in the co-op as much as time and interest permit. Here is what is expected:
Workdays are held monthly on Saturdays or Sunday from 8:00am to 12 noon.
- 12 hours per year or $225 for 1 child on 2- or 3-day schedule
- 16 hours per year or $300 for 2 children in school or 1 child on 5-day schedule
Parent Helper Days:
Parents assist the staff as a Parent Helper or Parent Teacher in the daily program. Either parent must work as follows:
- 14 per year for 2-day schedule.
- 19 per year for 3-day schedule.
- 33 per year for 5-day schedule.
Meetings are held in the evenings.
- 2 per parent per year or $10 for each one missed.
- Orientation program
Credit for extra maintenance day: $40 or $10 per hour
Credit for extra Parent Teacher/Parent Helper day:
- first through fourth day in month - $16 per day
- fifth day or more in one month - $20
There is a $50.00 fine for any Parent Helper Days not worked.
Each family is expected to participate in fundraising activities, principal of which are Scrip purchases, an annual Auction and an annual Carnival.